Selective Switching Technology

A revolutionary technology that virtually eliminates the emission of particulate matter and significantly reduces the emission of harmful gases into the atmosphere

Technological Innovation in Industrial Electrostatic Precipitators

  • Particulate Matter (PM)

PM stands for particulate matter (also called particle pollution), the term for a mixture of solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air. Some particles, such as dust, dirt, soot, or smoke, are large or dark enough to be seen with the naked eye. Others are so small they can only be detected using an electron microscope.

Most particles form in the atmosphere as result of complex reactions of chemicals such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, which are pollutants emitted from power plants, industries and automobiles.

Particulate matter contains microscopic solids or liquid droplets that are so small that they can be inhaled.

Once inhaled, these particles can affect the heart and lungs and cause serious health effects.

  • Electrostatic Precipitator (ESP)

Electrostatic Precipitator (ESP), an industrial filter, is the most efficient way of capturing PM released into the atmosphere by the industrial processes that use fossil fuels.

The ESP works with the electrostatic principles of ionic charging of the particles in a flow by applying a voltage in a confined environment. As the particles are charged by electrons coming from the electrode, they migrate to the collector plates, which are grounded.

When the PM collected in the plates accumulate to a level that begins to interfere with the electric field, the plates receive mechanic rapping to dislodge the accumulated layer of PM collected.

The only two ways to control ESP are: Voltage Level Applied and Rapping Time Interval.

The current ESP used in industries, such as coal-fired power plants, captures 99% of the generated PM with diameter above 10 μm (10 micrometers). The problem with the current system of ESPs is the remaining 1% of PM. This 1% that is not captured by the current system has a diameter below 10 μm (10 micrometers).

These fine inhalable particles are extremely harmful to human health.

  • Solution: Selective Switching Technology®

A Brazilian researcher from the University of the State of Espírito Santo, Dr. Jose Berthoud, developed a technology that allows the capture of 60% of today’s unfiltered pollution, represented by the capture of 100% of the particulate matter above 0.1 μm.

In 2 years, with the upgrade of SS technology, using 160 kV relays, all particulate matter below 0.1 μm will be captured.

An additional effect of the SS technology is not only to maximize the effects of using dry technologies for the reduction of Hazardous Air Pollutants (“HAPs”), such as hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen cyanide, collateral pollutants, and sulfur dioxide, but also the controlling of emissions of mercury, arsenic, chromium, dioxins and any other gas-phase organic carbon based compounds.

Its application will extend the operational life of coal-fired power plants and allow the use of the steel mills, cement plants and electric furnaces at their maximum capacity, without the present environmental harm.

  • Strategic Asset: Selective Switching Technology®

The SS technology is a strategic asset in today’s economic stage, particularly in the United States and China.

In 2010, the United States had 580 coal-fired power plants. They provided 45 percent of the nation’s electricity. By March 2018, the number of plants had fallen below 350, providing only 30 percent of total electricity, mostly because of competition from cheap natural gas, state efforts to boost renewables and stricter pollution regulation. At least 40 more coal plants have announced their closure or capacity reduction by 2025. Others may soon follow.

In the US, the use of SS technology would allow the reactivation of coal-fired power plants, while reducing air pollution levels.

China, on the other hand, is facing a dilemma of continuing to grow while improving air quality in a coal-fired economy. The cost of pollution is estimated at $ 1 billion per day.

Coal accounts for 58% of the Chinese energy matrix. In 2018, due to environmental concerns, China is reducing steel production by 30 million tons and coal production by150 million tons.

The SS technology will allow China to win the “war on pollution” and to end all restraints on burning coal.

%d bloggers like this: